Re: Wheel Cylinders - Rebuild or Replace?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel Cylinders - Rebuild or Replace?
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:13:19 EST
In a message dated 2/4/04 2:30:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, spitlist@cox.net
writes:

<< All the kits I have seen say "Do not hone the cylinder".  I have honed
 aluminum cylinders and have had no problems with the results.  The wheel
 cylinders on Huxley was rebuilt in 1996 and have not leaked a drop since
 then.

 Joe  >>

Some aluminum cylinders are clear/ hard anodized to provide a wear resistant
bore surface.

For steel cylinders most brake hones leave the surface too rough for good
seal life.

I use Syglide ( By AGS. American Grease Stick) when rebuilding wheel
cylinders and on new brake parts.

When I built my trailer circa 90 I removed the brake master cyl and coated
the parts with Sylglide.  Last year the hydraulic brake master was full of
water
due to a bad cap.  The inside was heavily rusted but the bore was untouched.
A quick cleaning then more glop and off it went.

Rebuilding wheel cylinders and such really isn't popular these days partly
due to low parts cost and better rubber.  In the old days the rubber portion
would fail pretty rapidly, now if the cyl is leaking it is probably due to a
pitted bore.

Harold