Re: FWD, was blown head gasket (non LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FWD, was blown head gasket (non LBC)
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:43:13 EST
In a message dated 2/15/04 1:13:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
carcentric@yahoo.com writes:

<< Okay, (except for Ford) what's a GOOD front wheel drive engine/trans?

 I'm looking for something with a 2.5 to 3.8 liter engine and automatic
 transmission - old enough and common enough to be fairly inexpensive
 when in good used condition. >>

Try a GM FWD 3.8 or 3800 series engine, these are bullet proof engines with
only timing chains failing on higher mileage engines.  Get on from a Pontiac
SSE any you get a supercharger.  In either state of tune then have tons of low
speed power.

If the cradle is too wide it can be narrowed and shorter axle shafts from
another GM car installed as the joints are common to man cars.

I built a Mid engine Ford Escort in 1990 for autocross using a custom rear
subframe, made the manual trans shifter come out the front and installed a
turned up 2300 Ford engine.  It runs on 8" X 13" front slicks and 10" X 13" in
the
rear.  It ran a 14.00 in the quarter mile.

Harold