Fluid for Overdrive Transmission

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Fluid for Overdrive Transmission
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:36:05 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net> i1IDee8B001116
Message text written by John Mitchell
>Hi everyone,
                     Recently there was a thread mentioning 30W non
detergent for the overdrive tranny.  I couldn't find a reference to this
in Bentley and was considering using Redline 75W90 but wanted to check
before I do this.   Any info would be appreciated.
<

The factory originally specified 30W non-detergent motor oil back in the
50's and 60's.  Most Austin Healey owners use this in their cars which have
torquier motors and essentailly the same O/D units.  But at some point they
changed specifications to GL4 transmission lube.  GL4 can be hard to find
since it has been pre-empted by GL5 which has a higher sulphur content
which the brass parts don't like very much.

I have used Redline MTL (which is very similar to, if not the same as, the
75W90) in my TR6 since 1996 and it has served me well.  Finding it is
another story.  It is available mail order but I haven't found it at any
local parts house.

Dave Massey
71 TR6