RE: Fluid for Overdrive Transmission

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fluid for Overdrive Transmission
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 06:47:37 -0800
>                      Recently there was a thread mentioning 30W non
> detergent for the overdrive tranny.  I couldn't find a reference to this
> in Bentley

As Dave said, BL/Triumph changed their recommendation to 90 weight GL4
around 1960.  Legend has it that this change was never approved by Laycock
(the OD makers) but was done only by BL because of problems with the thrust
washers on the gearbox countershaft.  Note that the earlier recommendation
was for 20, 30 or 50 weight, depending on prevailing temperatures.

> and was considering using Redline 75W90 but wanted to check
> before I do this.   Any info would be appreciated.

Don't use 75W90 !  It's too slick, and will interfere with synchro
operation, leading to rapid wear and grinding shifts.  75W90NS _might_ be
OK, but Redline's recommendation for our transmissions is their MT-90.
(Yes, I asked them.)  I've heard from several people that are successfully
using it, but haven't tried it myself, yet.

Be sure to take a full wallet tho, it's around $10/quart.

Randall