RE: Extracting Spring Eye Bolt from TR3A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Extracting Spring Eye Bolt from TR3A
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:17:14 -0800
> I've applied Liquid Wrench for the last 24 hours,

IMO PB Blaster (available at Wally-Mart) works much better than Liquid
Wrench.  Kano Sili-Kroil is also better than LW (but apparently no longer
available for retail sale).  Heat will also sometimes help, get things as
hot as you can (note that all the above mentioned substances are flammable,
but will only burn for a few seconds), and then douse with PB Blaster (or
whatever).  PB Blaster also seems to continue working for several days ...
I've had things come apart after a week of soaking when they were still
seized tight after a day.

> I've no wish to cut a hole in the body to drive it out with a
> drift.  Other ideas?

Did you try building a puller to pull on the internal threads in the head of
the pin ?

When I did this job years ago, my 'puller' was a home-made length of
all-thread (ran a die up a long bolt and cut the head off), plus a length of
pipe to fit over the pin head and some suitable flat washers and a nut.  Not
very satisfactory, had to replace the threaded portion to do the other side,
but it did get the job done.  McMaster-Carr has fine-thread threaded rod in
high tensile steel alloy that would be much better suited to the job than my
home-made stuff was.  ISTR the thread was 5/16-24, but I could certainly be
wrong on that point.

Randall