Re: Fluid for Overdrive Transmission

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Fluid for Overdrive Transmission
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:26:10 -0500
Message text written by Don Malling
>Well OK.... let me display my ignorance.

I was always under the impression that motion of the crank shaft did not
pass through the oil in the pan. That is, the oil level in the pan was
lower than the crank.

However, others have posted in other threads that part of the cam
lubrication depends on splash and therefore one should not run the
engine at too low of an RPM for long periods of time. Where is this
"splash" coming from?
<

While there MAY be a few Gloria owners on this list or the odd Standard 8
out there, most all of the cars owned by folks subscribing to this list
have pressure fed lubrication to the cam bearings and the lifters and lobes
are oil by the oil that drains back down from the rocker assemlby.  Splash
oiling went out sometime between the wars.

But you are right, the oil level in the sump needs to be below the crank.
Overfilling the sump will cause the crank to splash the oil and whip it
into a foam.  The rate of motion by the rod journals makes the transmission
gears seam down right lethargic.

Dave