RE: Fluid for Overdrive Transmission

Subject: RE: Fluid for Overdrive Transmission
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:54:50 -0800
> > John Esposito at quantumechanics.com says that detergent oils should not
> > be used in an OD because they foam.
> I know of about 5 rebuilders that recommend nothing but hi-detergent
> multi-viscosity oil for O/D's and some say they use Mobil 1, so different
> strokes for   "FT"

The reason gear oil is normally non-detergent has nothing to do with foaming
... the 'detergent' action in oil is to keep dirt and wear particles
suspended in the oil.  That's desirable in a system with a fine filter, like
a car engine, since then the dirt and wear particles are trapped by the
filter and removed.

However in a gear box with no oil filter (or only a coarse filter like an
A-type OD), it's more desirable for the particles to settle out, so that
they aren't constantly being recirculated past the wear points.
Non-detergent oil will allow the gunk to form sludge, which in this case is
actually a good thing.

Note that the "racing" oil I've mentioned is a low-detergent oil (since it
normally doesn't stay in a race engine long enough to form sludge anyway).
It also has a high level of "anti-wear" additives that function the same as
"extreme pressure" additives to some extent.  IOW it almost is gear oil, but
without the sulfur-based additive found in conventional GL5 (and GL4) that
supposedly eats brass synchro rings, thrust washers, bushings and OD
clutches.

Randall