RE: Brake pipe recommendations

To: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Subject: RE: Brake pipe recommendations
From: pmmacy@att.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:33:50 +0000
Dean (and list):

  I might have spoken too soon, or at least not included all of the information
when I said that the TR3A brake pipe set will fit a TR4.  The M/C to junction
pipe could be made to work, but it's the one from the whole set that's
different.  I'm currently working on a bare TR4 chassis, and I wasn't thinking
far enough "up stream".
  What I should have said is that the TR3/3A pipe set is the same as the TR4
from the 4 (or 5) way junction fitting and on out to the 4 wheels.  While the
pipe from the M/C to the restrictor valve on top junction fitting use the same
flares and fittings, a pre-bent TR3 pipe will not fit the design of the TR4
firewall (and the TR4 pipe is a little shorter in length).  The guys at Classic
Tube are very easy to work with, and will probably be willing to supply a TR3
set without the pipe in question so that you can fabricate your own, or they
may have the correct one available, and it's just not listed in their catalog.
Get them to also leave out the TR3 pipe that runs from the reservoir to the
master cylinder, and the brake caliper cross over tubes for the 'type A'
calipers if ordering a TR3A set.
  Regarding the clutch pipe, again the fittings are the same bubble flare with
a long male fitting at the master cylinder, and an inverted flare with a female
nut at the hose end, and the length is pretty close, but the bends are slightly
different.  You would not want to order the TR3 set anyway, because it includes
the reservoir to master cylinder pipe that is not used on a TR4.  I do see that
Classic Tube lists a TR4 / TR4A clutch pipe (p/n TRH1006), and I'm 99 percent
sure that this pipe is the same for both models.  Hope this helps.
 --
Mark Macy
New Carlisle, OH

57 TR3 TS16942LO
57 TR3 TS17734L
62 TR4 CT611L (Current Project)
61 TR4 CT675L (Wife's Driver)

-------------- Original message from "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>:

Thanks, Mark.

Do you know from first hand experience that the TR3A brake M/C to junction pipe
will fit a TR4?

Dean