RE: TR3A idle speed

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3A idle speed
From: "John A. Wise" <Wise@erau.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:04:12 -0700
At 20:54 -0800 16/1/05, Randall wrote:
> > I have adjusted everything I can think of.  I even disconnected the
> > throttle linkage and adjusted it so it would pull down on the
> > throttle ever so lightly with the throttle off.
>
>"Ever so lightly" ?  There is supposed to be a return spring on the
>linkage that
>is fairly strong, in addition to the return springs on each carb.

Where is it located???  In the engine compartment or the cockpit?

>The return
>springs on the carbs have clamps similar to the linkage, are you sure they're
>wound reasonably tight ?

I did put an additional quarter twist on them today.  I would guess
they have about one and a half turns from neutral.

> > Is there something that I am missing???
>
>In my case, the final part of the puzzle was worn throttle shafts.  The front
>carb was worn so bad that the throttle plate was actually dragging
>on the bore.
>
>Another thing to watch for is pivot balls that are worn oblong.  If
>you tighten
>up the screw in the end to compensate for the wear, the oblong ball may bind
>only at the limits of travel (eg idle).

Are you talking about the ball link between the throttle and the
carbs?  Or somewhere else.

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE
5483 W Potter Dr
Glendale, AZ 85308