RE: TR3A idle speed

To: "John A. Wise" <Wise@erau.edu>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3A idle speed
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:26:47 -0800
> >"Ever so lightly" ?  There is supposed to be a return spring on the
> >linkage that
> >is fairly strong, in addition to the return springs on each carb.
>
> Where is it located???  In the engine compartment or the cockpit?

In the engine compartment, on the carburetor side.  The lever that sticks up
from the shaft across the car, has a hole near the bottom and a coil spring from
that hole to a tab of metal on the firewall.  The spring is almost vertical.

> >The return
> >springs on the carbs have clamps similar to the linkage, are you sure they're
> >wound reasonably tight ?
>
> I did put an additional quarter twist on them today.  I would guess
> they have about one and a half turns from neutral.

That seems about right.

> >Another thing to watch for is pivot balls that are worn oblong.  If
> >you tighten
> >up the screw in the end to compensate for the wear, the oblong ball may bind
> >only at the limits of travel (eg idle).
>
> Are you talking about the ball link between the throttle and the
> carbs?  Or somewhere else.

There are actually 4 of them.  One attached to the front carb shaft, two on the
bell crank below the front carb and one on the lever near the firewall.  The one
on the bottom leg of the bell crank was where I had trouble.

Randall