removing TR3 windshield stanchion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: removing TR3 windshield stanchion
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:22:46 -0800 (PST)
Progress is chugging along on TS62xxx. Fenders are
off, all captive nuts are ground off (it's fun to
watch the concours bunch cringe when I say this),
front apron is removed and I've got most of the dirt
and debris vacuumed out. I'm working on windshield now
and find all of the slotted nuts holding stanchions to
scuttle do not want to let go. I have sprayed pblast
extensively, used mild heat (propane torch) and am
trying to remove them by using a fairly wide slotted
screwdriver with a wrench on handle for torque. I
think my use of tool might be the weak link and
wondered if anyone has tips for a better tool-
something with more torque. Perhaps a 3/4" wide slot
attached to a 1/2" breaker bar??? If I keep spinning
my wheels here, I might be desperate enough to cut
metal from the inside of cabin, to gain access to nut
or whatever holds the bolt tight and grind from that
side. This would mean patching more panels, which I
really don't feel like doing more of.

Thanks for any tips.

Richard
TS42099L body BAD - frame/drivetrain rebuilt GOOD
TS62xxxL frame BAD - body being rebuilt GOOD