RE: removing TR3 windshield stanchion

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: removing TR3 windshield stanchion
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:33:27 -0800
> I think my use of tool might be the weak link and
> wondered if anyone has tips for a better tool-
> something with more torque.

First tool to my mind would be a "manual" impact tool, where you beat on the
end of the tool with a sledge hammer.
http://www.autobarn.net/lis29200.html
I've had one of these for many years, it was absolutely indispensable for
working on motorcycles.  The hammer blow forces the driver blade into the
slot just when it's needed, and the impact of the blow helps free the
threads.  Saw one in Home Depot the other day, but didn't check the price.

Not sure how well it would work, backed only by the sheet metal, but I'd
sure give it a try.

> Perhaps a 3/4" wide slot
> attached to a 1/2" breaker bar???

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=69564&group_id=369&store=sna
pon-store

But I think you're just going to tear up the screw head, they aren't that
strong.

> If I keep spinning
> my wheels here, I might be desperate enough to cut
> metal from the inside of cabin, to gain access to nut
> or whatever holds the bolt tight and grind from that
> side.

As others have suggested, I'd drill or grind the heads off the bolts first,
undo the screws into the windshield frame and lift away the stanchion.  With
it out of the way, you have better access for PB Blaster, and a sizeable
shank to grab with Vice Grips.

Randall