RE: UK to US English

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: UK to US English
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:22:48 -0800
John Macartney wrote :
> To which you can also add *my* understandings
> British Term    US Equivalent
<snip>

>     De-clutch        Dip

I think "de-clutch" is probably more common than "dip" these days.  Of
course most people just think of a clutch as that funny extra pedal they
don't know what to do with !

>     Half shaft        Drive shaft

Isn't this backwards ?  In the US, a driveshaft runs from the transmission
(gearbox) to the differential.  I believe a British "driveshaft" is an
American "halfshaft", that runs from the diff to the wheels.

>     Nipple                Zerk?

"Zerk" is only a grease nipple ... other kinds of nipples are called either
nipples or other things.

>     Propellor shaft        ???

== Driveshaft.

>     Sills                Rockers

Generally "rocker panels".  Just "rockers" would normally mean an engine
part.

> Can't think of any more. It's still too early in the morning!

No one's thought of my favo(u)rite yet :

Gudgeon pin == wrist pin

Randall