Re: UK to US English

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: UK to US English
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:08:40 EST
Hi Ron,

How about:

Prop Shaft = Drive Shaft

Nave plate = hub cap

Trunnion = either a horizontal shaft, a type of mushroom, or a sore spot on
your foot.

White spirits = good ghosts? a type of vodka? rubbing alcohol (isopropyl)?
mineral spirits? acetone? lacquer thinner? I can *never* remember which, so I
just use a little of each, except for the ghosts of course.

"Duck" tape = Duct tape... millions of uses, but, oddly worthless for
actually taping ducts! (Okay, this one is really a common typo/mispronunciation
in
*both* US and UK English!)

Gudgeon = a small fish that makes weird noises? or a wrist pin fitted to a
piston.

Petrol = Really, really, really expensive gasoline!

Lorry = a girl I dated in college, or a truck.

Hoodsticks = sticks that hold up the roof!

When he is older you can explain "BFH" (universal to US/UK, but has key word
origins in UK).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com