Re: TR4 Daily Driver Question

To: steven@newellboys.com, twakeman@razzolink.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Daily Driver Question
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:42:53 EST
In a message dated 1/27/2005 12:28:16 PM Mountain Standard Time,
steven@newellboys.com writes:

why  do you want to commute in a TR4?

> Why not if  he wishes to.  Not everyone is a total wuss  Depending upon
>  the weather my commute car has been either the TR3A or Land Rover
>  Dormobile for the last 19 years.  Works for me.

I didn't mean  that as a challenge

Actually, and I guess we are getting off topic a little, I spent very many
years buying old cars, fixing them, driving them a while, selling them, and
buying another.  My first wife and I usually had three cars, one of which  was
"work in progress".

The problem with this is, you have to expect to spend some time on the  road,
or walking, in the rain or the middle of the night, or both.  When I  left
teaching and went to work for a real business, I got a new company  car.  For
many years since, I have insisted on having one "new" car that  was
unquestionably reliable.

Now, I am looking at retiring in 6-7 years and I will once again have more
time to work on old cars, and plan to go back to the fix 'em up and drive 'em
scenario.

A good argument can be made that one should never really have to buy a new
car.  I've bought many new cars, but it was usually because something was
wrong with the old one and I didn't want to fix it...so instead of spending a
few
hundred, or even a few thousand dollars to fix the old car, we would spend
many thousands on a new one.  I still have trouble resisting a good sales
pitch, or a great advertisement for a new car.

Regards,

Robert Houston
63 TR4
73 MG Midget
Texan in  NM

I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I  want to
be controlling it.
-- (from Pink Cadillac, 1989 - John Eskow)