TR4 Daily Driver Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 Daily Driver Question
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:56:43 EST
OK...just a suppose here.  I have been delayed once more by thieves  breaking
into our cabin in NM, and now I am spending weekends there trying to  secure
the place against break-ins, but shortly I WILL start work on the  TR4.

I want this to be a 2-3 day a week commute to work car.  The question  is, do
I overhaul the existing engine, or do I change out to a non-British late
model Nissan or Toyota?

Before the purist flame me, it is a question of two parts, cost and
reliability.

The engine I have is quite tired, and was smoking heavily before I parked  it
for the last few years.  I will be:

A.  Looking at doing a complete overhaul myself
B.  Trying to get by with a cylinder hone and new rings and bearing  and a
head job
C.  Buying a TRF. rebuilt engine.
d.  Buying a Nissan or Toyota pickup for say $2500.00 (wrecked)? and
transferring the engine/transmission.

I estimate the cost of the overhaul to be $2500 + in parts and a lot of my
time.
I estimate the cost of the half A in-frame overhaul at $500-800.
I estimate the cost from TRF at $4000 +
I estimate the Nipponese transplant at about $3000...with the possibility  of
better power, mileage and reliability?  V-6 and 5 speed?

Comments? Arguments?  What would you do?

Regards,

Robert Houston
63 TR4
73 MG Midget
Texan in  NM

I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I  want to
be controlling it.
-- (from Pink Cadillac, 1989 - John Eskow)