Re: TR3A tires

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A tires
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 21:38:30 -0700
Eric Bartleson wrote:

>I am looking for tires for my rebuilt TR3A.  I am looking seriously at
>Cooper 165X15 in tires.  Has anyone had any luck with these?  What is
>recommended?

I've been running 165R15's on my TR4 for the past five years. I like the
old-school brands like Michelin, Dunlop Vredestein and Cooper. My car
shipped new in '62 with optional Michelin X's. I bought it with old
Michelin XZX's. Both are discontinued but may be available from Coker
for $$. After driving for a couple years on the dangerously old tires, I
replaced the Michelin XZX's with Dunlop SP20's (now NLA) and those are
nearly worn out now. I also have run Vredestein studded snow tires,
Snow+'s, on the TR4 for a couple seasons before getting a '66 Volvo
wagon. The old Volvo wears the same size tires, so I put the snows on
the Volvo for the winter now. I bought Cooper Sportmaster GLTs for
summer tires for the Volvo last year, and I'll probably get a set to
replace the Dunlops before my giant summer road trip. Coopers are
popular with the old VW bug crowd, same size tire so they're widely
available. They wear well and look appropriate though I liked the
Dunlops better.

I also thought wistfully about getting an extra set of wheels with
combination gravel/tarmac rally tires for mountain drives -- Nokian and
others make rally tires in this size.

Steven Newell
'62 TR4