RE: TR3A tires

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A tires
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:04:38 -0800
> Did you put these tires on the stock wheels on your TR3? I am looking for
> tires for my TR4 project. It has the std. wire wheels etc.

Just to clarify, Dunlop recommends a minimum 5" wheel width for the SP Sport
A2 in 185/65 HR15.  However, they will fit on a 4" or 4.5" rim, and work
very well.  The handling might not be quite all it could be on a wider rim,
but they're much better than 165 tires even on the narrow rims.  It's
possible your tire shop may not want to mount them on such narrow rims, but
mine didn't care and they went on easily.

> Would these tires
> fit without any body modifications to a '63 TR4?

Should fit just fine.  They're actually less than 1/2" wider on each side
than the 165s.

> If so, what would I do about tubes?

As Jim said, you can keep your current tubes.  But if you've worn out a set
of Michelins with them, they're probably ready to be replaced anyway.  My
local Pep Boys carries them sometimes ...

> Also for the entire list, Does anyone know where Spring is hiding
> here in the
> North East? About -20F wind chill today, with about 8 inches of
> crap expected tomorrow!

Must be global warming !  Actually, I think you're getting the storms we had
a week or two ago ... and you're welcome to it !

Randall