Re: Carrying Passengers in TR

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carrying Passengers in TR
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:46:56 -0700
Kurtis Jones wrote:

>I know there are others here who carry small children in the back seat
>of their TR4 or TR3.  Perhaps they'll chime in with additional
>comments.

You talking about me? :)  I've been driving my entire family around in
the TR4 for a few years. My boys are now 6 and 7. Until the youngest was
a tall three years old I carried him in a booster in the passenger seat
and Ben sat on the bench, Pam had to stay home. For the last couple
years I carried both boys on the bench seat. I have a lap belt across
the bench, keeps them snug and is positioned correctly across their
laps. I *should* have a belt for each kid.

Colorado now requires a seat belt for six and up, and boosters for
younger than six. This new law went into effect a month before the
youngest turned 6 so I only broke that law for a month. A couple months
before, I was pulled over in Boulder (sort of like California) with the
boys in the back, but the officer let us go with an apology when he saw
them in the seat belt.

I can't see putting a booster on the bench seat since kids would be
getting bugs in their teeth at best. The booster is *mostly* to ensure
the shoulder belt is in the correct position, not really an issue on the
bench seat. But I wouldn't want to try explaining that to an officer.
Wait till the oldest is six and that one gets the bench, with the
younger riding shotgun until six.

Steven