TR6 - groove worn into discs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 - groove worn into discs
From: "Ian Viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:24:00 -0000
I would be grateful for comments on my diagnosis of a problem that's been
bugging me:
73 TR6 - front brake discs (rotors?):
1. After car purchased, noticed a groove worn into inboard surface of both
discs - about 0.5mm deep and 6mm wide. Brake force poor.
2. Discovered inboard calliper pistons ceased up - freed and new discs
fitted (old ones were beyond rescue).
3. Within 100 miles, noticed groove appearing on inboard disc surfaces
again. Brake force still unsatisfactory - but calliper pistons free. Grooves
seem to line up with part of the calliper castings, but definitely not
touching when you spin the road wheels. No discernable play in bearings etc.
4. Completely stripped front suspension down now - noticed wear on one side
of stub axles - not major but you can feel it with a finger nail.
Question - could the ceased pistons have caused the stub axles to wear and
in turn allow the calliper casting to rub on the discs under heavy braking?
Sorry this is a bit rambling, but this issue has been troubling me and non
of my local pals have come across this before.
Thanks,
Ian Viles (Derbyshire, England)
73 TR6