RE: TR6 - groove worn into discs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 - groove worn into discs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:29:14 -0800
> 2. Discovered inboard calliper pistons ceased up - freed and new discs
> fitted (old ones were beyond rescue).

You also fitted new pads at this point ?

> 4. Completely stripped front suspension down now - noticed wear on one side
> of stub axles - not major but you can feel it with a finger nail.
> Question - could the ceased pistons have caused the stub axles to wear and
> in turn allow the calliper casting to rub on the discs under heavy braking?

IMO it's more likely that some time in the past, your car has had a seized
bearing and it spun on the stub axle.  The stuck piston might well have caused
the bearing to fail.

BTW, I've run disc brakes with bigger grooves than what you describe ... it
should have little effect on braking force.  Mostly, grooved rotors shorten the
pad life.  While I agree having the groove come back is worrisome, I think I'd
be looking elsewhere for why the brakes are ineffective.

YMMV of course
Randall