RE: Gear Reduction Starter

To: "'Bob Nogueira'" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: Gear Reduction Starter
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:40:02 -0800
I have mixed feelings on the gear reduction starters. I've had three breakdowns
in the last three years. Two were the seizing of the solenoid due to water
ingress, and one had the actuator gear pin shear off. I've been able to repair
two of the failures. I believe mine have been the Hitachi versions. Moss was
real good about sending a replacement (NFI).

Don't get me wrong, they're way better than the originals, and I highly
recommend them. I would do two things before you install it, 1. seal the upper
half so water won't gravitate in but can come out, and 2. put some sort of
shield over the battery terminal. The terminal is right on top and real
susceptible to having a nut or screwdriver fall down and cause some arcs and
sparks.

I also suggest you keep the original solenoid so you can turn the engine from
under the hood (oops, bonnet).

John