Re: Gear Reduction Starter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear Reduction Starter
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:52:41 EST
Hi all,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to ask), but shouldn't the ring
gear be turned around to accomodate the gear reduction starter's opposite
engagement method?

 The ring gear has beveled teeth on one side, square cut on the other. The
original starter pulls the pinion toward the front of the car to mesh with the
ring gear. All gear reduction starters push the pinion toward the rear of the
car.

Normally, the beveled side of the ring gear faces toward the rear of the car.
That's correct for the original starter, but the opposite of what you'd want
with a gear reduction starter. Right?

If so, switching to a gear reduction starter would also mean removing the
gearbox, at least, to unbolt the ring gear, flip it over and bolt it back in
place.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.

AMfoto1@aol.com