Re: Daytime Running lights...was Induced Visibility

To: anabil@caltel.com, ZoboHerald@aol.com, ZinkZ10C@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Daytime Running lights...was Induced Visibility
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:11:47 EST
In a message dated 3/18/2005 2:56:04 PM Central Standard Time,
anabil@caltel.com writes:
> It  seems to me that in the early 1950s,  there  was a accessory
> "running light" that  mounted on the grill, and was wired to turn on
> with  the ignition, pretty bright and in those days,  different
> enough to get your attention ... wonder if it still exists ...:

Back in the old days before the automatic voltage regulator was universal in
automobiles, generators were configured with a rudimentary regulating
topography that worked reasonably well provided there was at least some load on
the
electrical system.  It was common for drivers to drive with the lights on all
the time to prevent overcharging the battery.  This light was a convenience
item
that took care of switching the light on and off for the driver.

It is a simple matter to wire up a relay to engage the lights whenever the
key is switched on and anyone with the wherewithal to keep an LBC on the road
can fashion one himself.

Connect the relay coil wires to a white wire and ground.  This will energize
the relay anytime the key is on.  Next connect wires to the COM and NO
contacts.  Connect one of these wires to a brown wire and the other to the
lights.
Fusing is always a good idea.

I wouldn't be surprised of JC Whatnot has a kit just for this application.

Dave