re: TR4A Fan Belt

To: mini@nashvilletn.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR4A Fan Belt
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:55:20 EST
<<Is it just me or it there a problem getting the fan belt off a TR4? Mark>>

Mark,
TR4 mounts (round style) are taller than TR4-A mounts (square) so there is a
little more clearance between fan extension and steering rack on a TR4. I've
never had a problem changing my belt. You may need to shim up your mounts as
others indicated - need to carefully get about 3/4" clearance between fan
extension and steering rack without getting thermostat housing too close to
underside of your hood.  TR4A hoods in fact came with round hockey puck sized
jute
(carpet pad-like disk) glued to underside of hood so when hood dropped down to
latch, the bounce action wouldn't leave a nice thermostat housing dimple in
middle of your hood! I never had that problem, or the need of the hood pad on
my
TR4.
I almost want to suggest you get new round mounts - they're taller and I
don't think the later, shorter, 'fail-safe' square ones have proven better over
the decades.. certainly they're too short for starters and cost twice as much!
Anyone promoting square mounts over round on this list? Just curious.
ps; my '63 Volvo 122S uses the round style mounts, two in front and one at
tranny.

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74