RE: Bead blasting brake calipers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bead blasting brake calipers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:06:57 -0800
> Do I need to plug the various ports in the caliper bodies to keep beads out,
> or will flushing and blowing out the passages afterwards be adequate? If the
> passages should be plugged, what's a simple and effective way of doing this?

IMO, I'd do both.  You sure don't want any traces whatsoever of blasting debris
left inside !

Put the old seals and pistons back in to plug the piston openings, then screw
standard bolts (I forget offhand if they're 5/16-24 or 3/8-18, but they are a
standard bolt thread) into the openings.  I wouldn't trust silicone plugs to not
let beads by.

FWIW, I bought a starter once that had been bead blasted and painted.  Looked
really nice, but the commutator end bearing was full of beads !  Seems they had
worked their way up inside the end cap ...

Randall