Re: A/C hoses

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A/C hoses
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:55:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/15/2005 2:29:45 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> >  Since R12 is more or less obsolete
>
> "NOS" R12 is still quite available, for a price.  There's a brisk business
> in recycling the stuff, last I heard it sold for about $30/lb (making my
> hoard worth quite a bit).  Still, I doubt the Concours rules can be
> reasonably extended to operating fluids ... have you ever heard of anyone
> getting a deduction for not using the proper brand of engine oil ?

I did say "more or less."  As a matter of fact there is a bit of a surplus of
recovered R12 from cars undergoing conversion.  I tried to interest the local
AC shop in swapping three cars of R12 I had for some service and the guy told
me he did know what he was going to do with the stuff he already had.

I guess in the strictest sense the judge could unscrew the cap from the
schrader (sp) valve and see if it is the R12 type or the R134 model.

But since concours does not include any dynamic issues (such as does the car
really drive* and how smooth is the clutch and how sweet does the exhaust
sound at full roar and how comfortable are the seats...) having an AC system
present may be important but having it work certainly isn't.

Dave

*Sure, sure, VTR has the moving event requirement to enter concours but the
option exists to roll the trailer queen off the trailer, creep through the
funkahna and roll it back on the trailer until showtime.  And it happens.