RE: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, dmallin@attglobal.net
Subject: RE: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250
From: Chad Jester <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
Don-

I would have to advise against it.  The fork is cast,
and the shaft is hardened steel.  I'm afraid you would
create a heat affected zone on the shaft where you
welded which would make it susceptible to cracking.

Just cross-bolt it with a grade 8 bolt and sleep well
knowing you have the extra insurance.

Chad

-----------------------

Don Malling wrote:

What are the list's thoughts about welding the clutch
fork to the cross
shaft. Will I have to cut
the shaft to remove/replace the clutch release bearing
if I weld it?
Seems for the cost of a shaft
and release fork it's an easy and sure way out of the
broken pin
problem -- pulling the transmission
etc.

Don Malling