RE: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:37:30 -0700
> Hmmmm.... Maybe adding a taper pin is not as hard as I thought.

It's not all that difficult, and Nelson's instructions are excellent.

But, drilling 1/4" and inserting a 1/4" bolt & nut is still easier, and
works just fine.  Do a temporary installation of the taper pin with the
shaft still out of the transmission, to hold the fork in exactly the right
relationship to the shaft, then center punch and drill through both the fork
and shaft at the same time.   Put it as close to the center of the shaft as
you can, but it's not critical if it's off a bit.  Once you've installed it
all in the transmission, check that the end of the bolt doesn't foul on the
front of the transmission and you're done.

With 3 points taking the stress instead of just one, the result is extremely
strong.  Not sure that it's relevant, but I also like having the bolt clamp
the fork to the shaft, so it can't 'fret' on the pins.

Randall