Re: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>, Triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Welding clutch fork to cross shaft TR6 TR250
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:53:01 -0400
Randall,

Are you saying the bolt solution is superior to Nelson's additional taper pin,
or just as good and a
little easier?

In Nelson's additional taper pin he threads the small end and nyloc's it. Are
you saying the taper
pin and nyloc provides less clamping force than the straight bolt (with bolt
head -- No head on the
taper pin). I can imagine Nelson's taper pin may tighten throughout the cross
shaft w/o much
clamping force, but on the other hand if there's enough force in this system to
shear the original
pin, seems that the bolt's clamping force alone (w/o considering bolt's shaft)
would not provide
much force. I can't imagine the bolt clamping force deforming the fork enough
to "clamp" it to the
cross shaft with enough force to withstand the rotational shear forces
involved. Am I missing your
point?

I keep coming back to the Nelson's taper pin solution because I believe use of
the reamer will
correct any sloppiness in the hole I drill -- freehand. I have a large floor
model drill press but
the cast iron foot is broken. Probably not a bad idea to fix that. Maybe that
would solve this problem.

I had thought the original pin was hardened and would snap rather than bend.
TRF calls it "high
tensil steel". Moss describes it as "high strength".  You're saying the pin is
soft and bends before
it breaks, thus the bolt to hole sloppiness makes no difference?

Thanks for the tip on the drill bits. Do you a Drill Doctor?

Don Malling