Re: TR3 mods?

To: hoyt@cavtel.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 mods?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:27:41 EDT
In a message dated 9/10/2005 11:24:36 AM Central Standard Time,
hoyt@cavtel.net writes:
> The third, I'm not yet sure about. I don't have a frame for it, so I have
> some
> choices: a later IRS frame or a custom frame with completely modern
> suspension? That allows some creativity with the body: widen the tub itself?
>
> lengthen the body? clone a factory prototype or limited-run variant? (I
> don't
> consider the fabrication and body work involved to be a deal-killer.) So,
> what's already been done along those lines of thinking?

That sounds like a lot of work.  I'd be inclined to keep the tub the same and
modify the frame for more modern suspension components.  Pick a car of
comprable weight (I'm thinking RX7 or RWD Cougar) and see what it would take to
hang
the supsenion on the TR3 frame.  Then you're left with modifying the inner
wheel wells and maybe the very rear floor pan and boot.

But I think widening and lengthing the tub may lead to a grotesque aboration
unless you have a knack for the esthetics (which I sure don't).

But we can always dream, can't we?

Dave