Re: TR4 top question - revisited

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 top question - revisited
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:44:18 EDT
Hi Dean,
   It sounds like you have an aftermarket TR4 top there. There were and are
still some variations in design, materials and quality, depending upon who made
the top.
   If it has the slots and flap up front for the metal stiffeners - that slip
under the leading edge of the polished trim on top of the windshield frame -
it's TR4. None of the later cars used this method of fitting.
   The zip out rear window (I think you said earlier that it has one) is
unusual for a TR4 top, so maybe that's an "upgraded" top.
   The stretchable straps along the sides were deleted from later cars. They
only helped provide a little tension to the flap that serves to seal the top
of the window and the external "rain gutter". Yes, original TR4 tops had the
metal loop at the front that attached to a hook hidden under the side window
seal rubber on the windshield frame. At the rear, they snap onto the hoodstick
frame.
   The elastic tensioners don't do a whole heck of a lot and that's probably
why Triumph deleted them from later cars. They just added to the fuss of
installing the top and likely added to the cost of manufacture.
   If originality is your concern, the missing tensioning straps and zippered
rear window aren't right. If a good, usable top is what you want, it will
probably work fine, and you can unzip the rear window for airier hood-up
driving,
when you wish, unlike most other TR4 owners.
   It's your call. If you like the top other than the missing tensioning
straps, and got it for a good price, then it might be worth hanging onto it.
   I don't know the manufacturer. Maybe they have a website.
   Alan Myers
   San Jose, Calif.
   '62 TR4 CT17602L
I'm still trying to sort out the top that I got recently for my TR4, and I'm
hoping you folks can help me gain some perspective.