RE: Triumphest 2005 News Update

To: "Bill & Skip Pugh" <anabil@caltel.com>
Subject: RE: Triumphest 2005 News Update
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:34:25 -0700
> >So if someone like Richard Good or JK Jackson shows up, what do
> you do? Do
> >you _NOT_ run? SHeesh.
>
> Since I have no idea who those two folks are, not a  problem.

In a nutshell, they're some fairly well known racers who have been known to
run Triumphs on occasion.

> Driving a course set up for race cars (yeah they really are) with a
> stock TR3 does  not seem like a good idea.

Not sure I understand your concern, Bill.  This is still a parking lot with
a bunch of orange cones on it, how hard you want to push your car is up to
you.  It's not like the turns are banked or anything.  (Which is a shame, I
thought the banks at Rockford were fun.)  And the top speed will still be
less than you've driven on your way to San Diego ...

> The point I was trying to make is the Triumphest  (to me) has been
> really a "fun" event,  I have enjoyed every aspect of it and hate  to
> see that aspect of it changed.

I'm sure it will still be fun, even if you choose not to attend the
autocross.  It certainly was the last time SCCSD hosted TRfest, when they
didn't have autox at all.  They caught a lot of heat for that (although not
from me) and I think they should be applauded for trying to solve the
problem this year.

> I  didn't even  know  you could not race on 48 spoke wires

Oh dear, you can't race on wire wheels ?  Don't tell my car that !

> I just
> don't relish the  thought  of having  to  drive  home  to  Northern
> California  with a damaged car.

In all honesty, you're far more likely to have a problem driving down or
back than on the race track.  And if you do manage to break something, I
think I can promise that someone will supply a replacement, even if I have
to drive home and get it off the wreck in the driveway.

Randall