Re: Triumphest 2005 News Update

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Triumphest 2005 News Update
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:24:32 -0700
>So if someone like Richard Good or JK Jackson shows up, what do you do? Do
>you _NOT_ run? SHeesh.

Since I have no idea who those two folks are, not a  problem.
Driving a course set up for race cars (yeah they really are) with a
stock TR3 does  not seem like a good idea.

>>  It just seems to be out of character for our own Triumphest tradition. :-(
>
>Never been to T fest, its a bit of a haul for me, but if you have $1k
>"invested" in your trip so far, buy a set of hoosiers or kumhos and win
>your class at that autocross. If you're cheap, but a set of Falken Azenis
>tires - you could be running close to real race rubber for under $400!

The point I was trying to make is the Triumphest  (to me) has been
really a "fun" event,  I have enjoyed every aspect of it and hate  to
see that aspect of it changed.  For  the all out autocrossers it
seems  like a great event, and I hope they enjoy  it.

>My opinion - FWIW - go to this event and you will be satisfied with how
>the event is run and how all the details get worked out. Really.

My first event was a club race in Memphis, TN  ... stock TR3 ...
only requirement was seat  belts  and a helmet,  the only helmet I
could find was for a crop-duster pilot (rubber  seals around the
face) regardless I won the  under  2000cc class,  not only once but
several  times. I  didn't even  know  you could not race on 48 spoke
wires and Michlein X  tires.  Casper  (TR3) is pretty fast,  and I
have  done well  at previous Triumphest  autocrosses ... I just
don't relish the  thought  of having  to  drive  home  to  Northern
California  with a damaged car.

--
Bill  Pugh
1957 TR3 TS16765L