Re: TR4 running too (?) cool

To: "Steven Newell" <steven@newellboys.com>,
Subject: Re: TR4 running too (?) cool
From: "Kurtis" <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:30:01 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Newell"

> I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I used to wish for. ;) I
> took a head-clearing drive this afternoon out a twisty mountain road west
> of Denver.* Today ambient temperatures were probably 60-70F, and around
> town and on the highway the car ran -- as usual -- somewhat shy of 185 on
> the dial. But while driving on the twisties (2nd/3rd gear, revs 3000-5000,
> 30-50 mph) the car ran especially cold with the temp gauge reading more
> like 130 or 140F. This was true both up and down the route. Coming home on
> the highway I was back up to normal, left of 185. So... is there a tuning
> problem that would cause my TR4 to run especially cool at higher revs? Or
> is this not a problem at all?
>
> The car has a later TR4 radiator (no crank hole or long filler neck
> anymore), aluminum sheet radiator shroud (general design inspired by Joe
> Alexander), recently installed TR3 fan hub assembly (again thanks to Joe)
> with yellow fan (TRF), recently installed 160F new-style sleeved
> thermostat (Moss).

Steven, I noticed much more drastic temperature changes shortly after
installing my sleeved thermostat; however, things seem to have settled down
a bit now.  Could it be that the yellow fan at high RPMs is doing a much
more efficient job of cooling at 30-50 mph than the air ram effect at faster
highway speed and lower RPMs?  Just a guess.

> *no need for you to move to Colorado and drive up home values even more,
> as the beautiful weather was more than offset by all the avalanches and
> rockslides on my short drive.

As a Colorado homeowner, wouldn't you want home values to go up? ;)

Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4 - CT19389L
1959 AH Bugeye - AN5L23250