Re: Gearbox oil change.

To: wsteinman@pogolaw.com, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Gearbox oil change.
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:44:36 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/2005 11:55:26 AM Central Standard Time,
wsteinman@pogolaw.com writes:
> Here's a quick question.  I've read the workshop manual and the Haynes
> manual, and they seem to assume a bit more knowledge than I have of my
> car at the moment. I'd really appreciate someone giving me a step by
> step for draining the oil in my gearbox, refilling it, and what
> lubricant I should use.

Going by the car's commission number, you don't have overdrive so draining is
a bit simpler than if you did.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission.  The factory
installed a plug with a square, protruding head and unless a previous owner
replaced
it with another type it is still there.  Joe Alexander (on this list) sells a
special wrench for this plug but a Crescent wrench works just fine.  The plug
may have a magnet.  It is typical to find a small amount of metal shavings
stuck to the magnet but a large amount and large pieces means trouble.  Once
the
oil drains out, replace the plug.

On the left side of the transmission is another plug, just like the other.
Getting a Crescent wrench on this plug, however, is much more difficult since
it is nestled in some of the contours of the gearbox.  This is where Joe's
wrench comes in handy.

Filling the transmission without removing the tunnel is an exercise in
frustration.  I use a pump oiler and refill it several times.  But you can get
pump attachment that fits on the oil jug and refill it by pumping the oil in
directly from the bottle.  Pump the oil in until it starts to spill out the
fill
hole.  This is the fill level.

What type of oil?  The factory recommends 80/90w GL4.  Some say avoid GL5
(which is most readily available) because the sulfur attacks the brass parts.
Others, experts in the rebuilding business, say to use straight weight 50W
racing oil. Earlier on, on TR2's and 3's (who's transmissions are the
precursors to
yours) the factory recommended straight 30W.  Any of those will serve nicely.
 I have been using Red Line MTL synthetic in my TR6 for 10 years and it still
works.  So does the overdrive.

If you have overdrive the only difference is there is a large plug that gains
you access to the overdrive pump filter.  Since the transmission and
overdrive share a sump, the drain plug will drain most of the oil anyway, but
this is
a good opportunity to check/clean the filter.  You will also drain out a bit
more oil but there will still remain some oil in the pump and pistons but the
amount is trivial and if this is just a routine maintenance change not enough
to worry about.

Cheers and enjoy

Dave