RE: TR3 doors

To: <Dave1massey@cs.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 doors
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:53:07 -0700
> In a message dated 9/19/2005 12:46:52 PM Central Standard Time,
> tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> > The pre-60K 3A doors definitely have a 'plinth' where the external door
> > handles mount, plus the interior is different than the TR3 doors without
> > external handles, to accommodate the redesigned latch mechanism.  In
> > particular, there is a welded bracket that carries the lever that the
> > external handle turns (so the bracket also serves as the inner
> carrier for
> > the shaft to the external handle).

Dave Massey replied :

> These are definitely there and I was wondering if they would be
> there on a
> proper TR3 door.  My main concern is if I could mount TR3 style
> latches on these
> doors.

Proper TR3 doors would not have the bracket I described.  You might be able
to mount TR3 style latches in them, but I believe it would take some hacking
to do so.  ISTR the rear jamb is different too, but I could be mistaken.

I've got samples of each handy at home, I'll try to take some pictures when
I get there in a few hours.

Randall