RE: TR3 doors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 doors
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:39:24 -0700
> Meanwhile, it's been years since I've had any TR doors that far apart,
> but I thought there was a bit of a "boss" around the hole for the
> exterior door handle. But perhaps there wasn't on the earlier part-wood
> doors such as yours.

The pre-60K 3A doors definitely have a 'plinth' where the external door
handles mount, plus the interior is different than the TR3 doors without
external handles, to accommodate the redesigned latch mechanism.  In
particular, there is a welded bracket that carries the lever that the
external handle turns (so the bracket also serves as the inner carrier for
the shaft to the external handle).

> I know that the factory "GT" kit (hardtop)
> included exterior door handles, but perhaps they mounted on an
> otherwise flat door.

I've wondered about that, but never found a definitive answer.  TS11xxxL
came to me with external door handles and hardtop scars, and I suspect the
fellow who bought it from me thought he had found a "GT" car.  (I never said
that, but I overheard him whispering to his friend and he asked me about the
hardtop.)  But since it also had TR3A latch mechanisms, I'm pretty sure
someone had just changed the doors at some point.

Randall