TR3A engine rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A engine rebuild
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:07:45 EDT
List Et Al,
I haven't posted in a bit, but I beleive I will be needing the collective
advice shortly. Seems the engine has finally run its course. I intend to
rebuild
"at home". My only real experiance has been rebuilding my lawn tractor (Briggs
& Stratton 17HP, Single).

In any case, one too many times up and down the Taconic at 70+ seems to have
put it over the edge. Particularly the bottom end I suspect. Head, along with
upper end, was rebuilt 2 years ago. Some nice smoke from the crankcase
breather pipe. I had replaced the main and con rod bearings last year (std) but
the
oil pressure did not improve much, I also noticed that one of the journals had
some fatigue.

When I pull the oil pan in the next few days I'll be able to be more
quantative.

That said, I suspect I'll pull the engine and rebuild from the head down,
including cam.

Would it be better just to find an engine already complete and swap? Matching
numbers are not important since they don't match now antway.

Best regards,

Ed (58 TR3A)

===     http://www.vtr.org