Re: RE:throttle shaft bushings

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE:throttle shaft bushings
From: "Frank & Sandy Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 06:03:45 +0000
>The bushings didn't wear but the throttle shaft did?  I didn't know that
could happen; how do you tell?
Thanks, Paul<

Yep, we checked the body with an an inside micrometer and found that it was
quite round and original in size.  The shafts however are made from brass
and had two rather deep grooves on one side (caused by the throttle vacuum.)
  I was suprised - as near as we can tell, any contamination or grit tends
to imbed itself into the aluminm and cut into the brass, leaving the body to
it's original size, but causing the shafts to wear and leak air.  The
grooves were measured at about .011 deep.

It really made an improvement in the performance of the carbs.  I was never
really able to adjust the  mixtures quite correctly until I overhauled them,
but now they idle much better and seem to have much more horsepower!  I took
them apart (one at a time so I could always look at the other one to get it
back together correctly!) and soaked them in carb cleaner, then used the
Moss kit to put back together.  Once you figure out how they go together,
it's all quite easy.

I would also suggest getting a book on SU carbs - helps a lot.  The kit does
contain a pretty good description of what is needed though.

Also, get the little gauge that is used to balance the carbs.  I have the
one with the little glass tube with the ball, but I also have used the one
with the dial on it, which I thinks works a lot better.

I'm attaching a photo on the message sent direct to you.

Good luck, feel free to ask more questions.

Frank
    TS55223L

PA300854.JPG]

===     http://www.vtr.org