TR6: rear tube shock conversion question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6: rear tube shock conversion question
From: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 12:55:55 -0700 (PDT)
I'm considering buying the common simple to mount rear tube shock kit (TRF part
# HP 121) with Spax shocks. This is the one that mounts to the original lever
shock mounts only.   Is anyone on the list using this setup and can you offer
an opinion on its value in general?  Is it worth the extra $ to go with the
Spax over KYB?  I am a spirited road driver that likes to push a car in the
corners, but doubt I'll ever track it.  I have installed Goodpart rear springs
and urethane bushings.   I also bought the Apple Hydraulics uprated heavy duty
lever shocks but after just mounting them, I'm not too impressed with their
stiffness over stock so far.   Maybe I need to try some heavier oil in them
before giving up on them.

I'm also worried about tire clearance with the tube shock conversion since I
plan to convert to Panasport 16x7 wheels in the near future.    Anybody running
this tube shock conversion with these wheels?

I'm intrigued by Revington's coil over conversion, but just can't justify the
expense (especially after you add in their sway bar kit).  Also a concern about
the Revington kit is that since the shock would attach to the trailing arm
closer in towards the pivot point, it would not have the same leverage on the
trailing arm as the original shock link mounting point which is farther out on
the end of the trailing arm.   Not sure if that's really a factor in the
dampening effectiveness or not since the spring takes most of the weight anyway
and it is still in its original spot.

Thanks!

Yahoo! for Good

===     http://www.vtr.org