Re: TR6: rear tube shock conversion question

To: Mitch Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: TR6: rear tube shock conversion question
From: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:05:56 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the input.   I've heard the same comment before (I think in a TRF
publication) about concerns of the stress on the mounting points with this type
of conversion, but I don't understand why it would cause any additional stress.
  This type of bracket mounts to exactly the same mounting points as the
original lever shocks.  Why would that create additional stress to the mounting
point?   The bracket/kit that looks most suspect to me is the one that mounts
to the body.   But I don't have direct experience with either, so its all
academic to me at this point.

Thanks again!

Greg H.
Denton, TX
1976 TR6

Mitch Seff <ms6453@optonline.net> wrote:
High Greg,
There was just a discussion on tube shock conversion on the British car forum ,
must be the winter projects setting in. Any way, I have been using the VB kit
#5-6025 with the KYB gas shock & am more than satisfied. I think this is
similar to the TRF & Blind Moose units. Super fast to install & in my opinion
far better wheel control. There are many lever shock die hards that will defend
the abilities of lever shock  adjustment with different valve springs & oil
viscosity. I've had levers & have done the adjustments but do not think they
compare on any level with modern tube shock design for wheel bump & rebound.  I
found the levers to give a poor ride and prone to wear at the connecting link.
A lot of the ride quality comes from short up & down movement over lumpy roads
which I think the levers were very poor at. The tube shock , being mounted
directly over the trailing arm is in  better alignment for control.
The tube shock conversion will eliminate the stop for full suspension extension
& the shock itself will limit this. Not a problem unless your going to go off
roading or jump off ramps. The original compression stop remains in place. I
have 215/65's on 7" rims with out any problem. I can see a slight rub mark but
have not noticed any tire scuff or heard any noise at all.

Some owners have mentioned mounting point failures. I have not had any problem
in over 4 years & plenty of hard miles. I would recommend examining the
mounting area for rust or metal fatigue & make any repairs. I would recommend
stiffer spring rates to get the most out of the conversion.

The Revington kit looks nice , like all there stuff  & is nice if you intend to
mount a rear sway bar but it is pricey.

-- Mitch SeffOceanside, N.Y.75 TR6 SChttp://www.triumphowners.com/384

Yahoo! for Good

===     http://www.vtr.org