Re: TR6: rear tube shock conversion question

To: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: TR6: rear tube shock conversion question
From: Mitch Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:46:29 -0400
High Greg,
There was just a discussion on tube shock conversion on the British car
forum , must be the winter projects setting in. Any way, I have been
using the VB kit #5-6025 with the KYB gas shock & am more than
satisfied. I think this is similar to the TRF & Blind Moose units. Super
fast to install & in my opinion far better wheel control. There are many
lever shock die hards that will defend the abilities of lever shock
adjustment with different valve springs & oil viscosity. I've had levers
& have done the adjustments but do not think they compare on any level
with modern tube shock design for wheel bump & rebound.  I found the
levers to give a poor ride and prone to wear at the connecting link. A
lot of the ride quality comes from short up & down movement over lumpy
roads which I think the levers were very poor at. The tube shock , being
mounted directly over the trailing arm is in  better alignment for control.
The tube shock conversion will eliminate the stop for full suspension
extension & the shock itself will limit this. Not a problem unless your
going to go off roading or jump off ramps. The original compression stop
remains in place. I have 215/65's on 7" rims with out any problem. I can
see a slight rub mark but have not noticed any tire scuff or heard any
noise at all.

Some owners have mentioned mounting point failures. I have not had any
problem in over 4 years & plenty of hard miles. I would recommend
examining the mounting area for rust or metal fatigue & make any
repairs. I would recommend stiffer spring rates to get the most out of
the conversion.

The Revington kit looks nice , like all there stuff  & is nice if you
intend to mount a rear sway bar but it is pricey.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.

===     http://www.vtr.org