Paint: Fenders on or off?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint: Fenders on or off?
From: amcewen2@cogeco.ca
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:49:03 -0400
Accident and rust repair of a TR3 at a brand name body shop (as opposed to a
restoration shop), I was assuming they'd
straighten the fenders and apron, re-attach them to test fit, and then remove
for paint and re-assemble.

However they're saying they'd do the major straightening while they're off,
prime, paint the seam, then attach for final
straightening and finish paint without removing again.  Their logic is that
with modern materials they can do a good
enough masking & blending job that I'll never find a mark on the paint, and
there's much less chance that we'd damage
the fresh paint re-attaching the body parts if we painted first.

They are the professionals and not me, thoughts?

Art.

===     http://www.vtr.org