Re: Paint: Fenders on or off?

To: <amcewen2@cogeco.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint: Fenders on or off?
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:45:48 -0500
> Accident and rust repair of a TR3 at a brand name body shop (as opposed to
> a restoration shop), I was assuming they'd
> straighten the fenders and apron, re-attach them to test fit, and then
> remove for paint and re-assemble.
>
> However they're saying they'd do the major straightening while they're
> off, prime, paint the seam, then attach for final
> straightening and finish paint without removing again.  Their logic is
> that with modern materials they can do a good
> enough masking & blending job that I'll never find a mark on the paint,
> and there's much less chance that we'd damage
> the fresh paint re-attaching the body parts if we painted first.
>

> They are the professionals and not me, thoughts?

The guy that will paint  my TR3A body (assuming I get it to him before he
retires, and he's only 40...) says he will do exactly that.  He will fix all
the sheet metal, prime the body, cut in all the seams, then I can do final
assembly and take the complete tub back to him for final painting.  He has
done a lot of good work for me in the past (I had five teenagers all driving
at about the same time, so he and I became very good friends), so I have no
reason to believe that this will not be a successful approach.

Michael Marr
1960 TR3A
Naperville, IL

===     http://www.vtr.org