Re: How long run if car not charging at all?

To: tr4@drooartz.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How long run if car not charging at all?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:36:26 EDT
In a message dated 10/19/2005 9:28:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tr4@drooartz.com writes:

I  haven't had any time to work on the TR4 lately, so I've been doing
theoretical work, trying to understand what I've been seeing with  the
charging system. A question I have now--if your  alternator/generator
was not charging at all, and you left home with  a fully charged
battery, how far would you  get?

======
FWIW, I went through just this scenario a couple years back with my Herald,
when it truly was my daily (only) driver. I got used to two things: 1.
ignoring  the generator light being on all the time; and 2. swapping batteries
(and
then  recharging the "dead" one) about every week or so, which translated into
200+  miles. Mostly daylight driving in clear weather means very little
overall demand  for juice, but rainy days (headlights required in rain in NY --
good idea,  IMHO) and night driving would take the battery down quite a bit
more
 quickly.

I suspect that you'd find pretty much the same results with a TR4. If  you're
worried, buy a cheap Group 24 battery @ Walmart (or the like) and carry  it
until you get time to sort out the charging system!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

===     http://www.vtr.org