Re: How long run if car not charging at all?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How long run if car not charging at all?
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:02:33 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Frink <tr4@drooartz.com>

Thanks Andy and Michael for the reassurance.... It's amazing how little
electricity these cars use--I don't think my modern Hyundai would make
it down the driveway without its alternator!

==AM==
Drew, I can certainly testify to that. In 1998, I was on my way across
Wisconsin in my 1991 Ford Explorer, headed for the VTR Convention (ok,
I know, but I didn't have a running, road-legal Triumph at the time).
The alternator failed, which I didn't really confirm until I went to
flash my headlights; doing so took enough power to cut the ignition,
and it almost literally felt as if I'd hit something! Weird. So long as
it stayed running and NO accessories of any kind were in use, I was ok
long enough to get to the nearest Ford dealer. Possibly coincidentally
(or not?), I had to replace the original battery about two weeks later
(something I've yet to have to do with either of the now-older
batteries I'd swapped back and forth in the Herald when its generator
went).

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>

===     http://www.vtr.org