Re: How long run if car not charging at all?

To: steven@newellboys.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How long run if car not charging at all?
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:16:18 EDT
In a message dated 10/20/05 5:51:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
steven@newellboys.com writes:

<< At the time I wasn't sure everything I'd need would keep working, so I
 called 1-800-FOR MERC and asked the woman in the call center who
 answered. She said the fuel pump would shut down, probably right in the
 middle of an intersection, and I should stop immediately >>

If the car was a gas version it would have a electric fuel pump for the
injection. ( either Bosch CIS or D jet )

The diesel has a mechanical charge pump and injection pump, no electricity is
needed to keep the engine running.  In the case of the Mercedes shutting the
motor off required one to push ( or is that pull ? ) a round knob near the
steering column to stop the engine.

A mechanical diesel needs no electricity to operate because it sprays fuel
into the combustion chamber 2 degrees before TDC, the heat of the compressed
air
lights off the fuel. The fuel spray continues as the piston goes down the
bore.  Where a gas motor draws in a mix of air and fuel then lights it off with
spark.

Later diesels have a electric solenoid that needs power to keep the fuel
valve open.  In the case of the Bosch VE pump used by VW and others,this
plunger
can be removed and the external fuel stop lever used.

Newer diesels have electric charge pumps and computer injection pumps, these
need electricity to operate.

Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org