Re: How long run if car not charging at all?

To: tr4driver@gmail.com, tr4@drooartz.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How long run if car not charging at all?
From: KPe9368405@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:57:54 EDT
OK, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. When my son graduated from high school,
his aunt "gave" him a car. Only catch was it was in Hesperia (near
Victorville),
 Calif. and we are in Denver. So, we combined a family vacation to San Diego
with  picking up the car. Turns out the electrical system was toast. The car
was (is)  a '79 TR7! Of course, when we saw the car and determined its
condition, I was  ready to hop the next plane. But, of course, my son instantly
bonded
with it.  So, I spent a day trying to rehab the electrical system to no
avail. Next day we  left (had to be push started). I had picked up a second
battery
and charged the  resident one.
Some of the mileage estimates posted here are fairly accurate. We made it
close to half way to Vegas on the recharged battery (I'd guess 60 miles), and
made it to Vegas with the new battery. Stopped at an auto electric shop in
Vegas, and had the guy "rebuild" the alternator. The rebuild lasted till
Denver.
We could even drive at night! I grew to hate that electrical system.
Oh yeah, he still has the car. That was 17 years ago.

Ken
'63 TR4 since '63

===     http://www.vtr.org