Re: thermostats

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: thermostats
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:27:59 -0400
I was not aware that there was a factory approved thermostat interchange with
a non-sleeved type.  For what it is worth, my 4A (CTC73336) was supplied with
a sleeved thermostat from the factory.  Smiths "summer" type.

I really sometimes wonder how much thought goes/went into the supercession
indices.  The sleeve was there for a very good reason.....  With a good
cooling system, you can probably use any type you want.  But with an open
bypass, some fraction of the pump output will go directly back to the engine
raising the average temp of the water that is returning.  Eventually, you will
reach a new steady state, but it might be a higher steady state temperature
than what you would have had without the open bypass.  I used "might" because
it depends on the unknown variables of flow rate with the bypass restricted,
with the skirted type of 'stat vs the flow rate thru the radiator with the
non-skirted.  If in the end the flow thru the radiator ends up being the same,
then the cooling will be about the same.....

-Tony

===     http://www.vtr.org